Cobra Financial - My Employer Owes Me Money. What Can I Do?

No-nonsense, straight-talking debt collection service

There is no denying the excitement of payday, but this can be quickly stripped away if you notice you have been paid less than you were expecting. There are a variety of things that can be done if your employer owes you money, some of which we have listed below.

Check to See if You’ve Been Underpaid

The first thing you should do if you think your employer owes you money is checked to see if you have been underpaid and, if so, by how much. You can check your pay slips and bank account and see if they align. Before you pursue your employer for unpaid wages, you must confirm how much you are owed and the date from which this money is owed. Comparing your pay slips and bank account will also prove that you have been underpaid, making it a lot easier to recover your funds should you need to.

Speak to Your Employer

It’s always a good idea to speak to your employer directly and seek clarity on why you haven’t been paid. You should try to find out why you have been underpaid – or why you haven’t been paid at all – and why the money is being withheld. It could be a genuine mistake on the part of your employer, something that’s easily rectifiable and quick to fix, or if could have been a purposeful decision that needs to be investigated further.

Common Issues

There are a variety of reasons why you might have been underpaid and working out what is relevant to you is the first step towards being paid what you are owed. For example, there could have been an issue with your tax, resulting in too much tax being taken. There also could have been an admin issue, such as a shift not being logged or your time working not being correctly assigned. Sick pay or leave can also impact how much you are paid, and this being incorrect could result in an underpayment. If you have recently used your annual leave, you should be expecting holiday pay, but this is open to errors.

What Are Your Options if Your Employer is Withholding Pay?

Luckily, you have a lot of options if your employer is withholding pay. You could write a formal letter describing the issue with your payment and what you would like your employer to do to solve it. You could also speak to a trade union, which will be able to guide you through the process of getting your employer to pay up. One of the most effective options is enlisting the help of a debt collection agency.

At Cobra Financial, we are on hand to help you recover the funds owed by your employer. Contact us today and speak to a helpful member of our team.

Find out more about our awards and accreditations +